The Wrath and the Dawn

The Wrath and the Dawn - Renee Ahdieh

One hundred lives for the one you took.
One life to one dawn.
Should you fail but a single morn, I shall take from you your dreams.
I shall take from you your city.
And I shall take from you these lives, a thousandfold.

The Wrath & The Dawn is a retelling of 1001 Nights. It follows Shahrzad as she seeks revenge for the murder of her best friend by The King of Khorasan, Khalid. The premise of the book is so captivating, it grabs you from the beginning and you just can't let go. Since I haven't read 1001 Nights, I really can't compare the original and the retelling. But I still felt the lure of the story. The plot is mysterious and intriguing. There are uncovered mysteries, unused magic, undying love and unresolved issues.

“What are you doing to me, you plague of a girl?” he whispered.
“If I’m a plague, then you should keep your distance, unless you plan on being destroyed.” The weapons still in her grasp, she shoved against his chest.
“No.” His hands dropped to her waist. “Destroy me.”

The writing is very lovely and flows in a magical fashion. It’s so refreshing and it makes the story even more authentic. All the characters are so real-like, we have our usual banter and plenty of swoon worthy moments. Though the 3rd person POV kind-of ruined it for me. Nevertheless, an intriguing read, a captivating story and a worth the wait series.

“When she wound her fingers in his hair to draw her body against his, he stilled for breath, and she knew, as he knew, that they were lost. Lost forever. In this kiss. This kiss that would change everything.”

3.75 stars