Outlander

Outlander - Diana Gabaldon 4.5 Bloody Fantastic Stars

image

Claire, the World War II combat nurse is on a second honeymoon with her husband Frank in the Highlands of Scotland and venturing through the Craigh Na Dun finds herself suddenly in the 18th Century Scotland.

image

Thus begins the tale of love, sacrifice, honor, family, and loyalty. The book covers all the elements such as action, suspense, violence, sex, heartbreak, and humor.

After emerging in the year 1743, she is assaulted, captured and thrown into a whole different world. After the Scots capture her, she meets one fine lad Jamie Fraser.

image

Jamie, Jamie, Jamie, what to say about Jamie? *swoon* He is like the epitome of hotness. So romantic and brave. Gods!

""Oh, its Fraser. James Alexander Malcolm MacKenzie Fraser.”

image

Outlander is not a book for everyone. Extreme sexual violence, themes of sadism, good characters doing things in their historical context that would be seen as abuse now, if you are okay with such things then go ahead. You'll love the book. If not, then it's not the book for you.

Moving onto the book: time goes on and Claire finds herself entangled with the day-to-day life in Scotland with no way to go back to her time. It would not be a spoiler to tell you what happens with her and Jamie. So, trying to solve the mystery of time-travel, dealing with everyday Scots life style and trying to decide on what to do about the history that's catching up to her, Claire has her hands full. Gabaldon is an outstanding prose stylist, and earns excellent marks here for plotting and characterization as well. One of the best books I've read.

Some of my favourite quotes:

“Oh, aye, Sassenach. I am your master . . . and you're mine. Seems I canna possess your soul without losing my own.”

“Ye werena the first lass I kissed,"" he said softly. ""But I swear you'll be the last.”

image

""Ye are Blood of my Blood, and Bone of my Bone.
I give ye my Body, that we Two might be One.
I give ye my Spirit, 'til our Life shall be Done.""