Mistborn: The Final Empire

Mistborn: The Final Empire - Brandon Sanderson phenomenal
/fɪˈnɒmɪn(ə)l/
adjective
1. remarkable or exceptional, especially exceptionally good.
2. perceptible by the senses or through immediate experience.

Phenomenal = Mistborn

Have you ever picked up a book because you've heard so much awesome things about it and you want to give it a try but you're wary of how it might turn out? And BAM it turns out to be the most awesome book you've read in a while? Yes. That's how I feel after reading this book. Hearing all those amazing comments and reading the reviews but trying not to get the hopes up so I won't be disappointed was hard. But the book delivered so much more than just that.

A post-apocalyptic medieval world, buried in ash and scalded by a red sun; the inhabitants, known as skaa, enslaved by a tiny minority of noblemen; an immortal Lord Ruler reigning over The Final Empire for more than one thousand years; nobles occasionally born with gifts; use of different metals for magic such as Soothing, Rioting, Pushing, and more; interbreeding between skaa and nobles prohibited. There, that's the world-building in Mistborn.

Now, we have Kelsier, the survivor of Hathsin; Vin, young orphaned girl who has rare latent supernatural abilities; Sazed, emasculated sidekick and seemingly endless well of information; and some other lovely characters.

“Belief isn't simply a thing for fair times and bright days...What is belief - what is faith - if you don't continue in it after failure?...Anyone can believe in someone, or something that always succeeds...But failure...ah, now, that is hard to believe in, certainly and truly. Difficult enough to have value. Sometimes we just have to wait long enough...then we find out why exactly it was that we kept believing...There's always another secret.”

The new world and the new magic techniques are quite hard to grasp at first but much like Harry's train journey from Platform 9 3/4 to Hogwarts Sorting, it gets within your grasp by the time the good bits arrive. There is almost every element in this book. There is love, faith, hope, anger, resentment, horror, betrayal and everything a world filled with pain and suffering could bring. I'm stunned with my own ignorance. Why did I never pick up a Bran Sanderson book? Well, I'm going to cure that. Any fans of George R. R. Martin, Patrick Rothfuss would love this book.

“Women are like….thunderstorms. They’re beautiful to look at, and sometimes they’re nice to listen to – but most of the time they’re just plain inconvenient.”

Last but not the least: Please read this book. It's worth it.