Falling Kingdoms

Falling Kingdoms - Morgan Rhodes, Michelle Rowen 4.5 Stars

“Even in the darkest and most cruel person, there is still a kernel of good. And within the most perfect champion, there is darkness. The question is, will one give in to the dark or the light? It's something we decide with every choice we make, every day that we exist. What might not be evil to you could be evil to someone else. Knowing this makes us powerful even without magic.”

Falling Kingdoms is a story about three countries, three neighboring kingdoms with nothing but deep-seated hatred between them. The start of the book was shaky, I almost gave up on the book entirely. Aside from that the story progressed. And kept on progressing. It follows the story of four young people from different kingdoms whose destinies become intertwined during the strain of peace between the lands. After putting them through several levels of hell, Rhodes pulls us inside the lives and minds of those within each kingdom - people who are enemies and wish one another dead - and gets us to sympathize with each and understand every point of view, even those that contradict one another. There is more than one side to every character in this story and it makes for a very interesting book.

“Hate is such a strong emotion. Much more powerful than indifference. But those who burn with hate can also love just as intensely. Can't they? When you hate--or love--do you do so with all your heart? So much that it feels as if you might die from it?”

There were some controversial issues with the storyline but the book was still unputdownable. I have it on good authority that the series keeps getting better and better. The ending left enough things open for what will surely be an even better second book. Getting started on Rebel Spring ASAP!

“You're the same as you were yesterday and the day before. Nothing has changed. Not really. Forget what troubles you. Regret nothing, but learn from any mistakes you make. Tomorrow will be a brighter day, I promise.”