Partials

Partials - Dan Wells It was not so easy to get into this book. Maybe the lack of connection with the protagonist or the fact that this particular 'dystopian' world was hard to get into. But once you got the hang of it, the book was stellar.

Humanity is all but extinguished after a war with Partials—engineered organic beings identical to humans—has decimated the population. Reduced to only tens of thousands by a weaponized virus to which only a fraction of humanity is immune, the survivors in North America have huddled together on Long Island. But sixteen-year-old Kira is determined to find a solution. As she tries desperately to save what is left of her race, she discovers that that the survival of both humans and Partials rests in her attempts to answer questions about the war's origin that she never knew to ask.

The age factor didn't feel quite right. I know in most of the YA books these days the protagonist are teens and most are in between the age of fifteen to eighteen. But this particular book had some issues that were clearly not compatible with the age group.

Moving on, I actually liked the way the world was portrayed. It was very different from the general theme and very curious. Having read the novella I knew some basics of the story and I was very glad for the insight.

""I lost my father, my mother, my wife, my children, my friends, neighbors, patients, colleagues, students. I was in a hospital at the time; I watched it fill up and spill over until there weren't even enough survivors to carry away the corpses. I watched my entire world eat itself alive, Walker, while you were playing with your dolls. So don't tell me I'm not doing enough to save the human race, and don't you dare tell me we can risk another Partial War.""

I loved the entire Partials vs. Humans concept. I feel like it has been played out especially in old sci-fi shows but I still liked it. Kira is head-strong, Marcus is adorable, Jayden is a take charge guy, Xochi is the bad-ass chick, Madison is the caring mom figure, Haru is the jerk, Isolde is an analyst and Samm is a Partial with heart.

“I'm going to cure RM.""

Marcus laughed. ""I wondered when someone would finally get around to that. It's been on my to-do list for ages, but you know how things are: Life gets so busy, and saving the human race is such an inconvenience.”

Not so high on my radar but still a good book.
3 stars